The BAG Pro-Active Sourcing Model
In order to maintain a current and effective Candidate/Resource pool The BAG has created a sourcing model that we refer to as the “Pro-active Sourcing Model”.
Visualise a “funnel” with volumes of input being forced down a narrow shute with a very efficient process of selection, just like a “sales funnel”, where unqualified and unproven candidates enter from various sources – adverts, referrals, colleagues, contacts, web site, etc. Once such candidates enter our “funnel”, we begin a very efficient high level process of qualification. At this level, we typically eliminate 80% of candidates; because by focussing on certain key questions, we can quickly determine that most just do not fit our requirements. For example:
- Do they fit the profile of the type of candidate we may wish to represent?
- Do they have the sort of skills that would be of interest to our Clients?
- Are they able to work in Australia unencumbered?
Once candidates have progressed past this first phase of qualification, they sit in the top half of our “funnel” awaiting a detailed assessment. We believe that most recruitment organisations consider this to be their candidate database. In reality, this is no more than unqualified general IT Industry resources – predominately irrelevant to most Clients at any point in time and no more than a “white pages” directory of IT resources.
We believe that searching at this level for Client specific jobs is inefficient, ineffective and often leads to the recruiters creating a lot of “noise” for their Clients - ie: the submission of far too many resumes, most of them irrelevant and forcing their Client to expend valuable time validating candidates on behalf of their Resource provider!
One of the core aspects to The BAG’s differentiation is being able to move these “top of the funnel” candidates into the “neck of our funnel” – this is done by a detailed assessment:
- Do they have a proven and consistent track record of engagements?
- Do they have appropriate certifications for their area of specialisation?
- Are they known to us and if not, can we identify colleagues in the industry who can attest to their credibility?
- Have they completed and passed a technical interview with us?
- Do they have the right demeanour and attitude to meet our Client’s needs?
- Can they communicate orally and in writing effectively?
- How do they approach the work environment and their attitude to work?
- Many more …
Keep in mind that at this stage we are still not searching against a Client specific need or job description.
Being able to move selected candidates via qualification into the neck of the “funnel” gives us our sourcing database for searching for key and standout candidates. It is on this sourcing database that we would search for candidates against a Client job description. And it is from this database which we would ultimately select those candidates who we feel confident to be able to pro-actively submit to our Strategic Clients. This is our differentiation and we classify these Candidates as our “CAPS in The BAG”:
- Constantly validated and refreshed
- Availability known
- Suitability Match -
So what does this mean to our Strategic Clients?:
- We are able to provide a fast turnaround in the provision of relevant and qualified candidates for our Client’s requirements.
- We will provide very few, but very relevant resumes to each requirement.
How do we keep The BAG topped up with relevant candidates?:
- We have the advantage that comes from many years’ experience in managing, supporting and engaging in IT on both the Client and Vendor side of the IT Industry.
- Working closely with the Client to ensure we know their business, culture and technology requirements.
- Having visibility of this environment and an understanding of likely future IT projects.
- An understanding of the Client’s focus and strategic direction for the next 3-5 years.
- Building a relationship with the Client and Candidate alike, that is one of a “Trusted Partner” than someone just interested in volume business filling the “Sales Funnel” full of roles and flooding the Client with resumes that should have been validated by us in the first place!